Artificial Intelligence (AI) skills for ICT professionals
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is revolutionizing the way the economy and society function, by automating tasks & business processes, and managing workflows & critical data more effectively. The fast paced development of AI technologies in diverse economic and social realities is exponentially augmenting the demand for ICT professionals with the right combination of AI technical, non-technical and transversal skills. Recent market surveys show that the demand for AI skills has almost tripled over the past 3 years and the number of relevant job postings is up by 119%. Employers, however, struggle to find candidates with the right skill mix. Further to demand, the gap is amplified by the shortage and inadequacy of relevant skills expected via VET provision, given also that AI is currently a subject of ICT specialization mostly offered at the highest level of tertiary education. This increasing demand and potential for industrial growth and modernisation though automation technologies, has brought to the fore the necessity to up-skill ICT professionals on the different AI applications, as well as to offer up-to-date initial VET to students seeking to start a career as AI specialists. The ARIS project will address this challenge by increasing the relevance of VET provision for ICT professionals to match their competences with the latest developments in AI, and promote employability & mobility within the sector. The project will also make available online OERs to ensure wide adoption contributing thus to improving the skills of ICT professionals by enhancing the provision of relevant training in a cost-effective way.
ARIS forms a Strategic Partnership to strengthen the key digital competences in VET provision for ICT professionals by offering an up-to-date curriculum and Open Educational Resources (OERs) in AI to address the existing occupational skills needs and mismatches.
ARIS objectives are:
- to design a comprehensive and up-to-date training course in AI technologies and practical applications, to empower ICT professionals with initiative, entrepreneurship & updated digital skills required in the workplace;
- to introduce modern training delivery methods and innovative open-access pedagogical resources, enabling learners to acquire and self-assess ΑΙ related skills, including VET providers resources &methods to integrate into their training offerings;
- to facilitate the integration of AI skills requirements into the EU certification and standardization schemes.
- Analysis of current and future skills and knowledge needs leading to the development of learning outcomes.
- Development of the structure of a curriculum on AI technologies and practical applications.
- Creation of corresponding pedagogical materials to be offered as Open Education Resources.
- Development, testing, and delivery of Vocational Open Online Course (VOOC) infrastructures on AI applications, promoting the uptake of innovative and flexible practices in VET.
- Involvement of key policymakers and stakeholders for the recognition of ARIS learning outcomes as well for supporting the integration of AI skills into occupational standards.
- Learning outcomes for training provision in the different AI technologies & practical applications for ICT professionals.
- Learning units (curriculum structure), trainers’ toolkit, and VET integration guidelines.
- Open Educational Resources for AI technologies and applications.
- ARIS Vocational Open Online Course infrastructures & content on AI technology applications for ICT professionals.
- AI Skills Certificate Supplement for the integration of AI skills into certification schemes.
- Position paper to support decision-making and promote the incorporation of AI skills requirements into the European e-Competence Framework.
- 5 national information days (one in each partnership country) to promote ARIS project.